We face barriers to effective communication in healthcare. As our world becomes smaller, we are in contact with patients or colleagues from culturally diverse backgrounds. Skills must be developed to improve effective communication.
Search the SUO Library for the following articles:
- The Role of Nursing in Bridging the Gap between Managers and Physicians in Hospitalsgarding diversity.
- Improving Communication in the Health Care Setting.
Based on your research, answer the questions (five sentences/questions) in a Microsoft Word document. Think of communication with a healthcare colleague when answering.
- What barriers to effective communication occur with a professional colleague who is culturally diverse? How can these barriers affect patient outcomes?
- What assumptions can you make about a professional colleague whose customs are different than yours? How can these assumptions impact communication?
- How can you overcome language barriers to increase team unity and motivation? Why is it important to take responsibility and improve your cultural competence?
Think of communication with patients.
- What specific language barriers can result when you communicate with a patient who speaks limited English?
- How do you adjust to conflicting values or traditions from patients in a specific religion or culture? For example, patients who are Jehovah’s Witness religion may refuse blood products or other religions may not eat pork.
- How do you adjust dietary restrictions communicating in a collaborative manner with the dietary department?
- What are the benefits of a healthcare organization to provide cultural awareness training for employees?
- Does your current or past organization provide cultural awareness training? If not, what will you recommend to your management team?
- Select one culture different from yours and describe how this culture deals with death and mourning. Get Homework Help Today