In your continued role as the organizational behavior consultant for NoJax Inc., you have now been tasked with analyzing the current structure of the business and how it’s impacting employee behaviors.
Use the NoJax Company Background document as a reference, and pay special attention to the policy and structure sections of the document. Write a report for senior management that provides observations on the overall structure of the business and the implications it may have on organizational behavior. Be sure your report addresses the following:
- Choose a minimum of three of the six organizational behavior structure characteristics (span of control, chain of command, etc.). Describe each in terms of how they’re used within NoJax’s structure, and provide an opinion about whether it has a positive or negative influence on NoJax’s organizational behavior. Be sure to support and explain your opinion with observations from the background document.
- Identify the type of organizational structure that NoJax is currently using. Provide an opinion about whether it has a positive or negative influence on NoJax’s organizational behavior. Be sure to support and explain your opinion with observations from the background document.
- Rank decision-making power, creativity, and ease of communication from most important to least important for NoJax’s success. Explain if you think NoJax’s current structure is effectively cultivating the characteristic you have ranked as most important. Be sure to support and explain your opinion with observations from the background document.
In your role as NoJax’s organizational behavior consultant, you continue to focus on the area of communication. Before this company can expand into other markets, there are barriers within their communication processes that need to be addressed. To help NoJax build better-working relationships with their employees, some areas of communication will need to be changed.
Use what you learned about workplace communication in this module to write a report that assesses the following areas of NoJax based on the company background document.
- Identify perceived barriers within the management structure that may hinder the process of communication.
- What are potential problems that management may have when communicating with employees?
- Based on the culture of the company and management backgrounds, what do you think may be obstructing communication? Support your thoughts with relevant evidence from the company background.