You May Face as an Information Professional Fall 2019
Submit all assignments through the Canvas course site by 10pm (Central Time) on the due date.
In this assignment you will read two or three papers and watch two or three videos as context for the reflection paper you will write for this assignment.
Through this course and others you may have taken or are taking, you have engaged in learning about the work, opportunities, and responsibilities of information and knowledge professionals. The work, opportunities, and responsibilities will also be accompanied by challenges, some of which may be significant.
Although this is a minor assignment worth only 5% of your final grade, it is important for you to be thinking about the changes you will encounter in your professional development and the challenges you will face. The deliverable is in the form of a reflective paper. To do justice to this paper, and keeping in mind the worth of the grade, you will need to write a paper that is minimally 1,500 words, with maximum of 2,000 words.
Goals and Objectives
The goal of this assignment is for you to consider what professional challenges may be in store for you in your career in the knowledge and information profession. In this course, I have highlighted issues, topics, concerns, and challenges. This assignment is your summative reflection on two or three challenges you are learning about. I am providing some resources for you to read and watch to provide context for your thinking, reflection, and writing. You will use these resources and reference the ones you cite in your paper using APA correctly!
The following are specific objectives that you will address through this assignment:
- Exercise critical reading and thinking skills when using the resources.
- Produce a reflective paper that presents the results of your reading, critical thinking, and
synthesis of ideas, concepts, and concerns that are associated with specific challenges you
- Demonstrate your ability to write at graduate-student level quality and use APA citation and
reference style in your paper.
What You Need to Do
1. Read the following articles:
- Buckland, M. K. (2017). Library technology in the next 20 years. Library Hi Tech, 35(1), 5- 10. https://escholarship.org/uc/item/9gs9p655
- Lyotard, J. F. (1979). The field: Knowledge in computerised societies. In The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge. Manchester University Press, 1984. https://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/fr/lyotard.htm