This portion of the final project is a written paper that focuses on the processes involved in making the laws that we study as part of the GBS 205 course. It meets the following course competency:
• Trace the historical development of law, the U.S. Constitution, the U.S. Court system, legal terminology, and legal procedures.
The written paper should be divided into three distinct sections. It should be written as a paper and not a question and answer worksheet.
SECTION 1 – Civic Engagement Through Contact with Representatives
This section should include the following:
1. A list of the names of the people that represent the area you live in each of the following offices:
• Two U.S. Senators – (These are the people that represent Arizona in Washington DC.)•
One U.S. Congressman – (Also serves in Washington D.C., determined by your Congressional district)•
The governor of Arizona•
Two state representatives – (represent the district where you live; they meet in Phoenix Arizona.)•
One state senator – (represent the district where you live; they meet in Phoenix Arizona.)•
The mayor of the city where you live.•
A city council member that represents the area of the city where you live.
2. A copy of a letter (or an email) written to one of the above representatives discussing an issue that is important to you and suggesting to them an appropriate way of dealing with it. You should actually send this letter (or email) to the person to whom it is addressed.
3. A discussion of why you chose this issue, why you chose this representative for dealing with this issue and the importance of communicating with representatives in this manner. Do you think they read communications such as this and respond to them or are they simply ignored?
SECTION 2 – Understanding the State Legislative Process
For this section of the paper, you will need to watch a video archive of a meeting of the state legislature. To find a meeting go to the Arizona State Legislature webpage. Select either the Senate or House drop-down menu. Select “Archived Meetings” and you will get a list of previously held meetings that you can watch online. Choose a meeting that is at least 30 minutes long on a topic that interests you and watch it in its entirety. (Hint: The most interesting topics are discussed early in the year so go back to a meeting in February or March). Write about it in this section and include the following:
1. The name of the group holding the meeting (“Joint Legislative Budget Committee” or “Senate Judiciary” etc.), the date and the length of the meeting.
2. A detailed summary of what happened in the meeting including an identification of any bills that were discussed.
3. Your own evaluation of the importance of the topics discussed in the meeting to both Arizona residents and the Arizona business community.
4. Your understanding and evaluation of the state legislative process. Are the needs and effects on business adequately presented and discussed at these meetings? How can businesses influence policy and legislation in the state? Can you think of anything that might be done to improve this process from a businessperson’s perspective?
SECTION 3 – Understanding Local Government
For this section of the paper, you need to watch a video archive of both a city council meeting and a city council study session. (If you can demonstrate with pictures or video that you actually attended these meetings you can receive up to 50 extra credit points.). Go to the city’s website and find a link to archived meetings (all city sites are different – you should be able to navigate through this fairly simply) and watch both meetings in their entirety.
Write about the following in this section of your paper:
1. The city, date and time of both meetings.
2. A detailed description of what happened in each meeting – including prayers, awards, pledge of allegiance, contracts and ordinances discussed, contents of consent agendas, etc.
3. Your evaluation of the importance and relevance of what happened in the meetings to the residents of the city or town.
4. Your opinion on the city council process overall. Is it accessible, valuable, important for residents to attend these meetings? Do citizens have an adequate say in what takes place in a meeting such as this?
5. Do the mayor and councilmembers seem to have a good understanding of the issues? Are they considering the interests of local businesses and citizens when they make their decisions? Are local businesses represented at the meetings? Do businesses have a good opportunity to express their positions on the issues? Do you have any suggestions for improving the process?
The length of the paper is not as important as its completeness. You will be graded on having included a thoughtful discussion on all of the topics presented in this prompt. Simple “yes” or “no” type answers will not receive credit without further explanation of the reasoning behind the answer. Get Law Homework Help today
Quality Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. We will always strive to deliver on time.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
HomeworkMarket Writing Services
No need to work on essay at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of essay writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied.