Evaluation of Treatment Approaches in Clinical Psychology
For this Assignment, pretend that you are applying for a position as a clinical psychologist. You have already submitted your resume and application, and have now been moved to the next stage of the interview process! This round requires a research paper providing evidence of your knowledge of mental health and different treatment approaches.
Select a psychological disorder from the DSM-5 that you are likely to deal with in your chosen career. Using the proper APA formatting guidelines, please write a 6-10 page report that specifically addresses all of the following:
- Name of this disorder.
- Symptoms of this disorder.
- Number of people or percentage of the population diagnosed with this disorder each year.
- Suspected causes of this disorder.
- Write a paragraph for each of the four major schools of psychotherapy (Psychodynamic, Humanistic, Behavioral, and Cognitive). How would each of these different schools of thought approach the treatment of this disorder?
- Which therapeutic approach do you think is best for this problem? Why?
- What kind of resistance would you expect in treating this kind of problem?
- How might the Prochaska Model of Change assist with your treatment efforts? What motivational interviewing strategies might be applied to the treatment of this disorder? Explain.
- How might manualized approaches to therapy help or hinder your treatment efforts? Explain.
- Discuss any dual diagnosis issues that are likely with this diagnosis. Please include at least one source external to the text to support your conclusions regarding possible dual diagnosis.
Writing Requirements and Assignment Guidelines
Your Assignment should be 6-10 pages, not including the title and reference pages, and should include the following elements:
- Title page: Provide your name, title of Assignment, course and unit number, and date
- Body: Answer the questions in complete sentences and paragraphs
- Reference page: Sources in APA format
- Include a minimum of three scholarly or peer-reviewed resources to support your responses (the textbook and two others)
- Use Arial or Times New Roman 12 point font, double-spaced, and left-aligned
- Use standard 1” margins on all sides
- Use APA Formatting and Citation style