MATH 1342 – Signature Assignment
El Centro College’s Quality Enhancement Plan is “CT3: Critically Thinking Things Through”. The Mathematics Department has designed a project to introduce students in MATH 2342 to critical thinking strategies, as well as help students document their thinking when tackling difficult, complex scenarios.
This assignment is worth 10 points on your EXAM grade.
- Read the problem carefully. The problem may have multiple parts.
- Answer each part clearly using several sentences (pay attention to the instructions). Include diagrams and appropriate mathematical terminology.
- Be sure that you’ve written out your thoughts in the space provided with the self-checklistbelowin mind. You may want to print out an extra copy for a rough draft.
- Scan your completed work to a pdffileand upload it to QEP Assignment on eCampus. Scanners are available in the Learning Center to help you create the pdf file or you may use the “CamScan” app for your smart device.
You must check the items below before submitting your work.
□1. Did I write several complete sentences? □2. Did I cite correct and relevant mathematics, including accurate calculations and proper notation?
□3. Are my drawings neat and labeled, with properly scaled graphs shown on graph paper?
□4. Did I reason thoroughly?
□5. Did I answer the question posed and include at least two types of evidence?
Mr. Howard, the manager of a grocery store, gets a complaint from a customer:
“Mr. Howard, when I check out, I want the fastest register. Too often I am in a line where there is some sort of problem and I have to wait and wait and wait…. I think I am going to stop coming here!”
You suggest to Mr. Howard that he tries a different strategy from his current one where a customer chooses from multiple registers (STRATEGY 2). You suggest that he sets up the store so that the customer will enter one single line and then break off at the end to the next available cash register (STRATEGY 1).
Below are a sample of waiting times (in minutes) that you collected for the two methods. You have agreed to help Mr. Howard analyze the data.
- For each strategy, find the 5-number summary and construct box-plots. Compare the distribution for each strategy using several sentences.
- Compute the sample mean, medianand modefor each strategy. Using these values, which strategy appears to be more effective? Explain using several complete sentences.
Use this page if need extra space.
- c) Compute the range and sample standard deviation (two decimal places)for each strategy. Using these values, which strategy appears to be more effective? Explain using several complete sentences.
- d) Using your results, which strategy would you recommend to Mr. Howard? Explain using several complete sentences.