A recommendation memo is a routinely used document in leading firms, and you may be writing such memos as part of an internship. Therefore, it is essential that you gain some practice at writing them. The purpose of a recommendation memo is to concisely recommend a course of action and provide rationale supporting the recommendation. This note describes how your team should approach writing a recommendation memo for the case assignments. The second part of this note gives you a sample memo that you should use to write your own memos for these assignments. Note that the format of the memos may vary from company to company. Therefore, while following the memo format as given in this note, bear in mind that the goal here is to expose you to memo writing rather than force a memo format on you.
This paragraph expresses your intent or action (This recommends……).
· Topic overview (the “what”, not “when” or “how”): costs, funding, etc.
· Ends with the hook: selling idea, the “why” or payoff: this part reveals the author’s point of view.
· Is there a clear purpose, objective?
This paragraph explains why we are talking about this today. It lays out the story.
· Historical: not “new” news (i.e., none of your case analysis will appear here).
· Highlights what brought us to this moment, why we are in this position, what brought about the need to make this decision.
· Dimensionalize the importance to the organization (e.g., important profit goal).
· Constraints – such as budget, capacity, technology, people, etc.
· This section is both brief and factual.
· Is the background clear, concise, and easy to follow?
· Does it explain why action is needed now?
· Does the appropriate sense of urgency come across?
Here, you detail what to do, when to do it and how to do it.
· The details of “what”, “when”, and “how”. NO “why”.
· This section should be very specific (100% clear). It must be actionable (How much will it cost, when, how, who). The reader should be able to read this and know how to carry out this recommendation.
· Some cases will require more than one recommendation.
· Is the recommendation clear and actionable? Could someone else implement it?
Here the reader learns WHY each recommendation is the UNIQUE right thing to do.
· 2-3 solid reasons are typical. Any other action should seem less appealing.
· This section flows from the opening “hook”; links to the original recommendation.
· Support includes impact on profit, share, AND anything else affecting long-term business goals.
· Analysis should address applicable quantitative issues such as NPV, break even analysis, pro forma statement of project budget, sensitivity analysis; as well as qualitative issues, such as, technology consistency, architectural conformance, innovation potential, etc.
· Appeals to precedent and anecdotal evidence in absence of data, but only in limited, carefully constrained manner.
· Shows how the recommendation will put the firm at a competitive advantage or is simply a competitive necessity.
· The goal is to read the basis and conclude the recommendation.
· Is the recommendation an inescapable conclusion of the basis?
· Does the basis for recommendation appropriately consider:
1. Core competencies and consistency with mission?
2. External customers and internal clients?
4. Attractiveness – quantitative measures if applicable (e.g., NPV, ROI, break-even, payback)?
· Are all assumptions explicitly stated (e.g., needs, technology trends)?
Why Homework Market
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. We will always strive to deliver on time.
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text.
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on essay at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of essay writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied.