Purpose of Assignment:
This assignment will help the student evaluate of a respiratory disorder, which, if untreated, can be a serious condition. Students need to understand respiratory complications and how it can impact ventilation and respiration is important to the study for maintaining homeostasis in the body.
· Evaluate pathophysiologic alterations that affect the neurologic and respiratory systems.
J.S. is a 42-year-old man who lives in the Midwest and is highly allergic to dust and pollen and has a history of mild asthma. J.S’s wife drove him to the emergency room when his wheezing was unresponsive to his fluticasone/salmeterol (Advair) inhaler. J.S. was unable to lie down, and began to use accessory muscles to breathe. J.S. is immediately started on 4 L oxygen by nasal cannula and intravenous (IV) D5W at 75 mL/hr. A set of arterial blood gases is sent to the laboratory. J.S. appears anxious and says that he is short of breath.
Vital signs (VS)
BP = 152/84 HR = 124 bpm RR = 42 Temp = 100.40F
Arterial Blood Gases (ABGs)
pH = 7.31 PaCO2 = 48 HCO3 = 26 PaO2 = 55
Module 8: Respiratory Pathophysiology
Instructions: Please include the following information for this case study: causes of asthma, the symptoms that the client presents and the management of the disorder. Use two evidence-based articles from peer-reviewed journals or scholarly sources to support your findings. Be sure to cite your sources in-text and on a References page using APA format. Refer to the rubric on the final page of this document for submission requirements and details about grading.
Need help finding evidence-based articles? Use this link: http://rasmussen.libanswers.com/faq/208365
Have questions about APA? Visit the online APA guide: https://guides.rasmussen.edu/apa
Part I. Investigate the pathophysiology of asthma and the clinical manifestations of the disease.
1. What type of asthma do you think J.S. has? Why?
2. What is the pathophysiology of Asthma? What occurs on the tissue/cellular level to cause the associated clinical manifestations?
3. What are the clinical manifestations?
Part II. Analyze the case study provided and determine what symptoms support the diagnosis of asthma.
4. Do you have any concerns with the numbers above (VS & ABG’s in the case study)?
5. What may be causing (etiology) J.S. to have an exacerbation of asthma?
6. Identify the treatment provided in the emergency department. What additional therapies are needed to mitigate the asthma symptoms and return the client to wellness?
Part III. Participation: Which group member(s) answered each question?
**As a reminder, each group member must participate in this assignment to receive credit. Failure to participate with your group members will result in a zero on this assignment. Please contact your instructor immediately if you cannot get into contact with a group member.**