2. Why study microbiology?
3. What are the difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells?
4. What are the three domains?
5. What structures do all cells have in common?
6. What are Koch’s postulates and what is the purpose of the postulates?
7. What is the difference between Gram-negative and Gram-positive cell walls?
8. Explain the differences among mutualism, commensalism, parasitism.
9. Why are viruses not considered to be alive?
10. What are the differences in lytic and lysogenic cycles?
11. How do vectors differ from vehicles?
12. What are the four groups of organic macromolecules? What are their functions and their
13. What are factors which can denature a protein?
14. Explain how fermentation, aerobic respiration and anaerobic respiration differ.
15. What factors affect enzymatic reactions?
16. How do autotrophs, heterotrophs, chemotrophs, and phototrophs differ?
17. What are the major phases of a bacterial growth curve?
18. How does temperature affect bacteria (effect on proteins and membranes)?
19. How does pH affect bacteria?
20. What are the structural differences between RNA and DNA?
21. What are transcription and translation?
22. Why is DNA replication semiconservative?
23. What are the differences among sterilization, disinfection, sanitization, and antisepsis?
24. What are ways to limit development of antibiotic resistance?
25. What are the differences among infectious diseases, communicable diseases, and contagious
26. How does pathogenicity differ from virulence?
27. What are the three major means of disease transmission?
28. How does being quarantined differ from being in isolation?