The Cask of Amontillado” Essay Topics , Choose one of the essay options below, and write a well-organized, five paragraph essay answering the prompt. Be sure to adhere to the essay format and the essay write rules.
1. The descriptive details used in “The Cask of Amontillado” create a specific mood. Write an essay describing what that mood is, which key details create it, and in which scenes that mood is most strongly expressed.
2. Consider the many details given about Montresor: the way he is dressed, his family name, his coat of arms, and family motto. Explain what significance each of these details has to the story.
3. Montresor places a great deal of importance on “connoisseurship,” or being an expert at something. Explain how he plans his revenge on Fortunato like an expert. Support your argument by giving at least 3 examples of how he plays with Fortunato, his victim, or examples showing how much he enjoys his revenge.
4. Fortunato is dressed like a fool, and Montresor wears a “mask of black silk.” Explain why these costumes are appropriate for the roles they play in the story. Use details from the story to support your opinion.
5. Reread Montresor’s description of Fortunato toward the beginning of the story. According to Montresor, in what ways is Fortunato a “respectable” man? In what ways is he a “quack”? What kind of person do you think he is? Why? Support yourself with details from the story.
From “The Cask of Amontillado” by Edgar Allan Poe
Answer the following questions in complete sentences.
1. Setting: What is significant about the time the narrator has chosen for his plot? What are the practical reasons for choosing this time? What are the symbolic reasons for choosing this time?
2. Discuss (in detail) how Fortunato tests whether or not Montresor is a free mason.
3. Fortunato’s name translates to “one who is fortunate.” Why is this ironic?
From “A&P” by John Updike
1. Updike puts together details that create a normal, ordinary grocery store — the setting is supposed to be realistic. What details stand out to you as true to life? What does paying close attention to the details contribute to the story?
2. Think about the character of Sammy. What traits (good or bad) does Sammy show? In what ways is he a “real” person? Is he less of a hero because he wants the girls to notice him?
3. What part of the story is the exposition? Where in the story can you find the conflict? What is the climax of the story?
4. Why, exactly, does Sammy quit his job?
5. Does anything lead you to think Sammy will quit his job? Is there any foreshadowing (before Sammy quits) that hints at this?
6. What do you understand from the conclusion of the story? What does Sammy mean when he says “how hard the world was going to be . . . hereafter”?
7. Who is the narrator of this story? How might this story be different if another character narrated it? How reliable do you find this narrator? Justify your answer.
8. Why do you think the girls wear their bikinis in the store? What text evidence supports this conclusion?
9. How does the setting contribute to this story? How might this story be different if it happened in a different time and place?
10. The narrator assigns character traits to the girls based on their appearance and body language. Compare the narrator’s description of Queenie and the tall girl. Do you think this is an accurate way to assess other people? Explain your response. How are appearances related to how people perceive each other? Get Best Essay Writing Help with Homework Market.
Why Homework Market
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. We will always strive to deliver on time.
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text.
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on essay at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of essay writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied.