· In making your assignment submission here, you are confirming that the assignment is the product of your own work and that you have cited others’ ideas, words, findings appropriately according to the conventions used in academic work. Your assignment will be checked with SimCheck. See the plagiarism explanation and potential consequences for violations, on the syllabus.
· For best results, see that you have completed the checklist on Paper 1, and have reviewed the grading rubric.
Paper 1 Assignment Family in the News
For this Paper assignment you will find and interpret from a sociological perspective a news article on a family-related topic that interests you.
Knowledge: After doing this assignment you will:
· • Understand how the sociological perspective and the public and private family concepts can be used to understand everyday family phenomena.
· • Recognize how existing sociological theories and knowledge can be used to understand new phenomena.
Skills: After doing this assignment you will be able to:
· • Articulate how sociology can be used to interpret observed family phenomena.
· • Explain what theory is and articulate one specific sociological theory of family.
· • Use academic conventions to write, argue, and cite.
· • Integrate ideas and support from sociological works.
Find a news article published since 2000 in English in a national paper that reports on or speaks about a family phenomenon, from anywhere in the world.
The New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, The Globe and Mail, The Guardian , are acceptable sources. Check with the instructor if you select an article from a source different from this list.
Please note: as a UW student you have free access to many news articles through the UW libraries. For continued and free access to an article you find say through an internet search, locate and use it for free via the UW libraries’ system. (Sometimes the articles located via the library databases may have slightly different titles or publication dates.) Utilize your UW librarians, via chat or in person, to help you locate free access to your article.
Read the article, taking notes on what you think may be sociologically relevant points. Pay special attention to details that might relate to ideas and social developments that we have explored.
1. Write an 800+ word double-spaced 12-point font paper, labeled with a title and your name and date, in which you: o Summarize very briefly what the news article reports on
2. o Demonstrate your ability to apply sociological concepts and to the phenomenon being reported on in your news article. At minimum:
1. ▪ Define and explain the sociological perspective, the role of theory in sociology, one specific theory, and the concepts of public and private family.
2. ▪ Apply the above to your article.
4. o Integrate ideas, discussion, examples from a minimum of 3 course materials (at least 2 readings and 1 lecture).
5. Create in-text citations any time you use ideas, words, findings from other sources, using APA citation style, like this: (Qian and Lichter 2011). If you use a particularly well-stated quote, you must use quotation marks and a parenthetical citation with a page number, like this: (Cherlin 2013, p. 428). Limit your use of direct quotes to two.
Include a Reference section or page at the end of your paper that has full bibliographic entries in APA style that correspond to the-text citations in your paper.
Check the paper against the grading rubric in Canvas.
Label the paper’s file as SOC352P1YourlastnameFirstinitial and save as a .docx or similar file (pdf’s will not be accepted).
Submit to Paper 1 Assignment in Canvas before you move on to Lesson 4.
To submit your assignment:
· • Use the +Submit Assignment link located in the top right corner.
· • Click the Choose File button to find and select the saved document file.
· • Click the Submit Assignment button to turn in your assignment.
Criteria for Success:
An example of an appropriate article for Paper 1: https://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/a-stay-at-home-dads-dilemma-when-the-marriage-ends/?smid=pl-share
Get Assignment Help Services from Homework Market
Why Homework Market
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. We will always strive to deliver on time.
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text.
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Homework Market Writing Services
No need to work on essay at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of essay writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied.